* 1 egg
* 1/2 + 1/8 cup oil
* 1/2 + 1/8 cup buttermilk
* 1/2 tbsp vinegar
* 1/2 tsp vanilla
* 1 oz red food coloring
* 1 1/4 cups flour
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 tbsp cocoa
* 1/2 tsp baking soda
* 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/8 cup milk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 8 oz Cool Whip (or homemade whipped cream)
* cake crumbs (from cutting off tops of cakes)
* 12 ounce can cream cheese frosting (I used a whipped icing)
* 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
* remainder of cream cheese icing
* 3/4 cup blueberries
TO MAKE THE CAKE:
1. Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients until combined.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix on medium high until completely combined.
4. Pour into two prepared 8 inch cake pans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few crumbs.
6. Allow to cool for a few minutes in the pans and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
ONCE CAKE HAS COOLED, MAKE THE ICE CREAM:
1. Mix cream cheese, sugar, milk and vanilla extract together until well combined.
2. Fold in the cool whip.
3. Cut the domes (the rounded tops) off of the cakes with a long serrated knife. Crumble the tops of the cakes into the ice cream mixture and stir until well incorporated.
ASSEMBLING IT ALL:
1. Line the sides of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper should stick up above the top edge of the pan, since the cake will be a little taller than your pan. If you want, put a cardboard cake circle in the bottom of the pan.
2. Put the first cake layer in the bottom of your pan.
3. Pour a third of the ice cream mixture on top of the cake and spread evenly.
4. Add 1/2 a cup of cream cheese icing on top of the ice cream and spread evenly, working it lightly into the ice cream.
5. Add another third of the ice cream mixture on top of the icing and spread evenly.
6. Add another 1/2 a cup of cream cheese icing on top of the ice cream and spread evenly, working it lightly into the ice cream.
7. Top with remaining ice cream and spread evenly, smoothing out the top.
8. Top with second layer of cake.
9. Allow ice cream cake to freeze completely, 5-6 hours or overnight.
10. Once frozen, remove cake from springform pan and remove parchment paper from sides.