– These are one of the BEST magic cookie bars you will every put in your mouth. After just one bite, you will be in Heaven.
– 1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
– 3/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
– 1 tsp. vanilla
– 1 egg
– 1 c. all-purpose flour
– 1 c. chocolate graham cracker crumbs (not quite 9 full-sheet crackers)
– 1/2 tsp. baking powder
– 1/4 tsp. salt
– 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 3/4 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 1 3/4 c. shredded sweetened coconut
– 1/2 c. sliced almonds
– About 12 oz. sweetened condensed milk (not quite one can)
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
– Line an 8×8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhang for easy removal and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
For the Crust:
– In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar, using a hand mixer, until smooth and creamy.
– Add the vanilla and egg and mix until combined.
– Add the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt and mix until fully combined.
– Stir in the chocolate chips.
– Press graham cracker dough evenly into the bottom of your prepared baking pan.
– Bake for 5 minutes.
– Remove from oven and sprinkle with the mini chocolate chips (reserving a small amount), coconut and sliced almonds.
– Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk over the top and sprinkle with reserved mini chocolate chips.
– Remember the pan is hot and return to the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes until set (I baked mine for about 26 minutes).
– Loosely tent the pan with aluminum foil halfway through baking time to prevent the coconut and almonds from browning and rotate the pan in the oven.
– Allow to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes and then stick in the refrigerator to cool all the way through (the bottom of the pan will be cold).
– Cut into 9 -12 squares. DO NOT cut the bars while they are still warm or the gooey filling will run all over the place.