Hobo Dinner Foil Packets are so simple to make and everyone raves about them! Comforting veggies including potatoes, carrots, and onions are topped with a seasoned hamburger patty and grilled or baked to tender perfection.
This recipe reminds me of recipes my mother would bring to the field during fall harvest time. A complete and hearty meal made especially for hungry, hard working harvesting folks was always a welcome sight! This Hobo Dinner recipe delivers exactly that! Not only is this a complete meal in one simple packet, but it is so easy to prepare and even easier to clean up making it the perfect meal to serve to your hungry family!
The type of ground beef you choose can be so important to whatever recipe you are making. In this Hobo Dinner Foil Packets recipe I choose lean ground beef (instead of extra lean). My reasoning is two-fold;
Here’s what we do: This will serve 6.
1. For each person thinly slice (about 1/8 inch) 2 red potatoes and place in pie pan or on a big piece of foil.
2. To make 6 Meat Patties- mix 1.5 pounds 85% lean ground beef, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 cup finely chopped onions. Divide into 6 one inch thick pattie…s.
3. Top each pan of potatoes with a meat patty and asparagus or green beans then sprinkle generously with seasoned salt or garlic salt and pepper. Drizzle with a olive oil, especially over the potatoes.
4. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
5. Serve with BBQ Sauce, Ketchup, or Heinz 57 Sauce.