Okay, okay. Fine. Mozzarella sticks, American chain restaurant, yum, good, everyone loves them, yada yada yada.
Please listen. You haven’t tried fried mozzarella sticks until you’ve made them yourself at home, and you haven’t tried fried mozzarella sticks until you’ve made these fried mozzarella sticks. Marlboro Man loves American chain restaurant mozzarella sticks (he’s such an easy date)…and last night he proclaimed these the best he’s ever eaten. Then he gave me the key to his heart. Then he said he’d reclaim the key if I didn’t make these daily for the rest of his life.
Awww, I kid. He said weekly!
Here’s the step-by-step post on Tasty Kitchen: Fried Mozzarella Sticks
Try them. You’ll swoon.
- 1 1/2 cups Italian-style dried breadcrumbs
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (16-ounce) packages mozzarella cheese sticks
- 4 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, 1 cup of Parmesan and salt.
- Cut each mozzarella stick in half.
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl and dip the cheese sticks into the eggs to coat completely and allow the excess egg to drip back into the bowl. Coat the cheese in the bread crumb mixture, patting to adhere and coat completely. Repeat dipping the cheese sticks in the egg and bread crumb mixture to coat a second time. Place the cheese sticks on a baking sheet, cover and freeze until frozen, about 2 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, fry the cheese until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer the fried cheese to plates. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and serve.