This Italian Sausage Peppers and Onions is a yummy dinner that you can get ready to enjoy in under 30 minutes!
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup Marsala wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 ) In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat, then add sausage and cook until brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and drain.
2 ) Keep the pan on that medium heat, and add the Italian seasoning, basil, garlic, and cook about two minutes more.
3 ) Add the Marsala wine, tomatoes, tomato paste and stir, add chili flakes, if using.
4 ) Add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer.
5 ) Return sausage to skillet with the vegetables. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened
6 ) Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles, polenta, cauliflower rice or, if serving as a sandwich, split the hoagie rolls in half lengthwise. Hollow out the bread from the bottom side of each roll, being careful not to puncture the crust. Fill the bottom half of the roll with sausage mixture.